Interoperability Standards for Lifelong Learning
Technical specifications are being developed to provide a common language so that different systems can communicate and work together ("interoperate").
In the context of ePortfolios interoperability is important to facilitate the transfer of life-long learning records between different systems as the learner progresses and moves between different learning organisations.
The EPICS project will develop, test and evaluate a practical approach to delivering a region-wide infrastructure to facilitate the sharing of ePortfolios across a range of agencies and institutions following interoperability standards.
Newcastle were also involved in the PIOP (Portfolio Interoperability Prototyping) project which developed the LEAP2a standard for ePortfolio interoperability. More information on our work in LEAP2a, including notes on how we implemented this in ePET can be found on our pages about LEAP2a
Many of the key interoperability specifications for education are being developed by the IMS Global Learning Consortium. The JISC Centre for Educational Technology Interoperability Standards (CETIS) is working with IMS in developing and adopting specifications for education in the UK.
The following specifications are particularly relevant to ePortfolio developers:
- IMS Learning Information Package (LIP)
- UK Learner Profile (based on IMS LIP)
- IMS ePortfolio"
- IMS Content Packaging
- IMS Enterprise
- IMS Reusable Definition of Competency or Educational Objective (RDCEO)
The IMS ePortfolio Special Interest Group has collected use cases (including 2 submitted by the FDTL4 project) and is in the process of developing specifications for ePortfolios.
Other specifications and organisations that may be of interest:
- IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee
- HR-XML The HR-XML Consortium is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to the development and promotion of a standard suite of XML specifications to enable e-business and the automation of human resources-related data exchanges.
- UK Learner Profile (version 1.1) UK HE Transcript Mapping to IMS LIP 1.0 and European Diploma Supplement